Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Riverwalk have a fee?

The Riverwalk is free to the public.

What are the Riverwalk hours?

The Riverwalk is open from 6AM to 11PM.

How can I get to the Riverwalk?

DRIVE: Googlemaps We encourage Riverwalk visitors to use public transportation to access the Chicago Riverwalk. CTA Plan your trip with CTA Quick trip planner - From the CTA subway: CTA Blue Line exit at Clark and Lake Streets station - walk two blocks north to the Riverwalk. An ADA accessible ramp is located on the west side of Clark Street. CTA Red Line exit at State and Lake Streets station - walk two blocks north to the Riverwalk. An ADA accessible ramp is located on the east side of State Street. METRA Union Station and Ogilvie Transportation Center are short walks to Lake Street, proceed east to the Lake Street stairway down to the Chicago Riverwalk. Metra Maps and Schedules CHICAGO WATER TAXI Stop between Ogilvie and the Riverwalk’s River Theater Plan your trip - DRIVING DIRECTIONS Access East-West Wacker Drive which runs parallel to the Chicago Riverwalk. Be sure you use Upper Wacker Drive and not Lower Wacker. There are multiple private garages for parking vehicles in the area around the Riverwalk. There is no official parking garage for the Chicago Riverwalk. On the east end of the park, there is street parking on Lowest Wacker Drive between Lowest Michigan Avenue and Field Drive. Wacker Drive has free street parking on Sundays. ADA ACCESSIBILITY RAMP LOCATIONS: West of Franklin Street West of Clark Street East of State Street LOCATION MAP

Is parking available?

PARKING Metered spaces are available on Lowest Level Wacker Drive between Stetson and Field Drive. There are many private garages near the Chicago Riverwalk.

Where are ADA compliant entrances?

There are ADA compliant ramps providing vertical connection between Upper Wacker and the Riverwalk. East side of State Street West side of Clark Street. West side of Franklin Street ADA Map

Does the Riverwalk have elevators?

No. However they are planned in future builds.

Where can I find concession opportunities and contracts?

Please visit the site page for this information. Concession Program

Who is in charge of entertainment?

Each vendor plans their own schedule of events. Please reach out to individual vendors to inquire. The Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) participates in programming events and public art. Event calendar

Can I take photos for a special event on the Riverwalk?

The Riverwalk is free and open to the public. Please be respectful, courteous and mindful of everyone who is also enjoying the Riverwalk. Vendor areas may have a separate policy please inquire with a vendor or contact us.

Are dogs allowed?

Yes on a leash. Please be mindful of other patrons and obey any posted signage pertaining to your dog.

Are bicycles allowed on the Riverwalk?

Yes. However, there are designated locations where bikes must be walked. Please obey any posted signage pertaining to your bicycle. Whether or not a sign is present use caution and mind the safety of yourself and others.

Can I bring food or drinks to the Riverwalk?

Yes. Food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in designated areas. All refuse must be disposed of in proper receptacles placed all along the route. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed unless purchased and consumed at a vendor's location. No outside food or drinks are welcome in vendor areas. Grilling on the Chicago Riverwalk is not permitted.

Explore dining, entertainment and activities on the Chicago Riverwalk.